Saturday, February 7, 2009

Caroline's Birthday

I will let Caroline write about her birthday, presents and crazy activities. I would like to comment on my other New Year’s Resolution which started in earnest on Monday. I have decided that I need to get back into shape and now is the time. I started by running on Monday and Wednesday, riding the stationary bike Tuesday and riding my mountain bike today. I know it is a long way from a serious fitness regime, but it is a good start. I have a couple of goals I am working towards.

First is the Gate River Run in March. Held yearly in Jacksonville, it is a 15km (10 mile for anyone who wants the conversion) road race through the town. This year will be my fourth time running it. I am trying to train somewhat beforehand as I have not done this in the past. I am also trying to lower my expectations as far as results go. I have managed to finish in about an hour and half each time and considering I am not training that is a decent time. However I always think I can do better when I cross the finish line. This year my goal is to finish in 1:30 and not to get trapped at the start. I guess running with the cross country club in Geelong I got use to one or two person starts so the mass slow start frustrates me and causes part of the problem. It is impressive that at least once a year 10,000 odd people are willing to run 15km though.

My second goal was to try and complete the Xterra First Coast triathlon held at Hanna Park. After I got my bike I went out to Hanna Park and rode around on some of the trails that were part of the course from last year and was feeling pretty good about it. That was also part of the reason I am incorporating riding into my get fit program. However I just tried to look it up to find out the exact date and discovered it is not on the schedule for this year. In fact the only two triathlons that are part of that series are being held in South Florida which I feel is too far to travel for a first attempt. So I will continue with my bike riding, but I don't have a goal to work towards.

No comments: