Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Jacket


I got a brand new snowboard jacket this week. I know what you are thinking what do I need a snowboard Jacket for in Florida? This is what Caroline asked me when I said I wanted one. I probably could have used it for the trip we took to Snowshoe, West Virginia, last year but we didn’t have the money at the time. We still don’t have the money now, but I got my new jacket anyway. The way I managed this was through a program we have at work called Virgin Health Miles. How it works is your wear a pedometer which counts your steps each day if you get over 7000 steps you get 60 miles, 12000 steps 80 miles and over 20000 steps you get 100 miles which is the most you can receive in one day. There is a machine at the hospital which measures your blood pressure, weight and body fat and using this once a month gives you extra miles. As you accumulate miles you receive money with the maximum for the year being $500. I managed to max out in October and had the money sitting in my account waiting to be used. I wanted to get a new jacket but I wanted to get Caroline something too. In November there was a challenge for the Shands employees and the first place prize was $150. The challenge rules capped the maximum steps per day at 30000 so by the end of the month there were eight or nine people tied for first place. To resolve this they held a random drawing and I managed to win. So I got extra money, which worked out perfectly. I used the competition winnings to get massage vouchers for Caroline as a Christmas gift and then last week I put some of the money into amazon.com vouchers and bought myself the jacket. When I first tried it on I thought it was a little small and was worried that I would have to return it to get a larger size, but that is how it is supposed to be and I love it.

On January 11th my account rolled over and I started again trying to accumulate steps to get more money. The goal this year is to max out before I go to pharmacy school and buy a big screen TV with the money.

No comments: