Saturday, November 28, 2009

Running

I want to run a marathon. Seems a simple enough goal, but I am smart enough to know that I can’t use my usual show up and run philosophy. I think that I top out at 15 km with this method which luckily for me is exactly the length of the River Run here in Jacksonville. Caroline and I have decided to start off with a half marathon to test the waters and see how we go. Caroline started a training program to get into shape and the goal at the end was to run a 5k race. I went with her on race day and we finished together. The next step was to extend it to the half marathon in February. Because I know I need to train too, we both joined her training program. It is called Galloway Training and is based on a walk run method. Depending on how fast you go you run for different intervals, but everyone has to walk at some stage. I was skeptical at first because the first couple of weeks were a little disorganised and I wasn’t happy with the pace of my group. Before Caroline went to Arizona for tennis we had to do what they called a magic mile which helps to put you in the right pace groups. I ran Carolines with her then did mine and emailed it to the guy in charge. He said that instead of running in the third group I should move to the second group so that is my plan for next week. This morning there was no official run because there was a 5k race that they wanted people to run. We didn’t do that because it was $50 to enter. This entry fee included a ticket to the Players Golf tournament but we were not at all interested in that. Instead we went out to Jacksonville Running Company for what they called a Renegade Run. Basically it was just like a normal group run but with less people. I ran with a couple of people and a dog we didn’t take walk breaks like we were supposed to but that was fine with me. It was 6 miles and we ran a 7:30 pace which is fast for me but I felt pretty good about it (we will see how I feel tomorrow at soccer). After I was done I ran back and met Caroline and ran to the finish with her at her pace which I know has improved since she started. I am actually enjoying running again we run with the group every Saturday and then by ourselves Tuesday and Thursday.

No comments: