Monday, November 2, 2009

Knitting

I am not sure when Caroline started knitting but it was at least a year ago. I think she started because she wanted to give a friend who was having a baby a present. Of course things snowballed from there with more babies and more knitting. I don't mind the knitting that is fine, its the trading and stockpiling of wool that seems a little over the top to me. She started with just a couple of balls of wool for the project she was working on, but then she discovered the Ravelry website (facebook for knitters is how she describes it) and then things really took off. Through the website she found others selling wool or for trading wool with other people. There is even one, based in Germany , that has super rare wool that they sell once a week and people stalk it online. She managed to get a couple of those which she then traded away. We currently have wool, needles and patterns stashed everywhere around our house. That is not the point of this blog though. Just after she started knitting Caroline said she wanted to knit me a scarf. Since I already had a black and red Essendon scarf it was decided that a green and white Celtic scarf was in order. And thus began the saga of the scarf, about a month after she started and a couple of stripes in she wanted to restart it because it was too thick, I disagreed and negotiated a continuance. The scarf knitting went on for the next year almost, in between other projects - most of which were baby related. Finally last night she decided that she wasn't going to bed until the scarf was finished, at around 9pm the last tassel was put on and official photos were taken (available in the gift shop on your way out). I love my new scarf and hope the weather only gets colder so I can wear it every day. Thank you Caroline. Now I can't complain about our house full of wool ever again.

No comments: